Welcome!

I am starting a new venture. A made to order bakery with cookies, cakes, cupcakes and brownies. This is a blog about our adventure..from start to finish. Hope you enjoy!



Friday, August 27, 2010

Whew!

It has been a big week! I haven't been able to write about my baking adventures in a few days (I'm sure you guys were just DYING to know what happened, lol)

First things first:

Wednesday Night--

Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars---

These started out as cookies...Oatmeal cookies with Butterscotch chips mixed in that is...but as I was mixing the batter and guessing how many this batch would make ( 13 1/2? I always count a half because I have to taste it...and really, who am I kidding I usually eat 3 by the time they're done cooling) I thought, why not make them into bars and get twice as many out of the deal? I mix my wet ingredients together and reach for my shopping bag that has the butterscotch chips in it and realize.....they've been in the car...all...day...long------CRAP! Melted...sooooo, I put them in the freezer and literally 2 minutes later they were frozen solid. I took my meat tenderizer and went to town...but Cash was sleeping so I went downstairs and pounded those puppies on the carpet. It still left HUGE chunks, so I went ahead and popped them in the microwave and melted them and swirled them into the oatmeal batter. I spread the dough onto a 13x9 in. pan and went on about my business...I checked on them about half way through and was greeted by a CLOUD of SMOKE billowing out of the oven...WTH!? The batter had rose and spilled over the edge. I quickly grabbed another cookie sheet and put it on the rack below, securing any spillage and preventing it from reaching the already sticky hot mess on the bottom of my oven ....I pulled them out 5 minutes later fully expecting them to be a burnt version of the beautiful golden brown picture I had in my head when I started them. Surprisingly they weren't. They were a little crispy on the edges but other than that looked pretty darn good. I waited until they cooled and dug in...wow, a LOT better then I thought they'd be..they were chewy and moist with just the right amount of butterscotch, but they were missing something. I pulled out some white chocolate and drizzled it on top.

Tasters Opinion: They were super tasty-- Tara-6 (one of the kids I nanny for) said-- "hmmm you've got a lot of flavors goin on here, it's delicious. I give it a 95,000" not to bad -LOL
John took them to work and they didn't last long at all... So instead of Oatmeal Butterscotch cookies---we now offer Oatmeal Butterscotch Bars.

Thursday Night--

Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes with Raspberry Filling and a Lemon Glaze

I have been wanting to try these for awhile now. I had NO IDEA how to make a homemade filling,so I did some research on what I needed to do to pull this off.  I took my raspberries, sugar and water and boiled them down, mixed in some cornstarch and let it sit awhile to thicken up. I made my vanilla cupcake recipe, zested a lemon and put some poppy seeds into the mix. Then made a Lemon glaze to go over top. For me, this is a trial run cupcake. I want to see what tastes better, a zesty glaze or raspberry buttercream.
The cupcakes turned out great- the filling wasn't to runny, although I think it could be sweeter.  All in All the tasters liked it...so next week we will try it with a raspberry buttercream and see which is better!

Today--
Remake of Peanut Butter Cookies
I get off at noon on Fridays so of course while Cash was napping I needed something to waste the time away while I wait for our ride to Springfield. So I thought I would make some cookies to take home for my parents and Grandparents. I wanted to re-try my Peanut Butters--I did a whole new recipe this time--not that the last one was bad, I got great reviews about it, I just wanted to try a little something different. After tweaking my recipe and refrigerating my dough I balled up those bad boys and put them in the oven... they turned out big, brown, chewy and beautiful! These are the kind of Peanut Butter cookies I am talkin about! I went for the white chocolate drizzle again but also left some plain. We will see what the tasters say!

I, of course took pictures of these events but my good camera is broke...so I will have to wait to post them :(

No baking this weekend, we are off to Springfield and then to Garden City with our band Brethren Flow (check us out on facebook! ;) ) to play an after party for CCR and Foghat! See you guys next week, Hope everyone has an AWESOME weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment